Saturday, January 3, 2009

Kidnapping Information Research


In between working, I've been on a search for kidnapping investigation information. At an author event in October I met a local author who is retired from the FBI, so I emailed him and he sent me a great list of the things that need to be done when a kidnapping is reported. I printed that out and will definitely use it while I'm plotting the story.

Tonight I got an idea about a keyword combination for Google and it got me into a section of the www.missingkids.org website that I hadn't found before. There is a wealth of info on their site and especially if you click on the "resource" links. I found this PDF which is a training manual for police officers which should be helpful and they have a couple of checklists. This is the link -
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/ResourceServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=643 and click on Missing and Abducted Children (English)

I also located some tips for parents etc that I'll include in a special section in the back of the book. In any of my mysteries, I want to find a way to share information I find that can be helpful to readers. This should be some great information for parents and others :) I work hard to have authenticity in my novels, but this will go a step beyond what my readers are used to.

I'm also reading "How to Write a Damn Good Mystery" and making all kinds of notes. You should see the front of the book, I keep adding post it notes with story ideas that pop into my head while I'm reading :)

Nikki Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment