Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Planning Details For Footprints in the Sand

The galleys for Book Promo 201: Harness the Power of the Internet with Web 2.0 and Social Media Marketing are coming along very nice and I have the updated galleys to work on today. Love when the book gets this close to be complete and ready to go to the printer :)

But, I wanted to post an update about Footprints....

Over the weekend I had a little time to start getting some of my plot ideas on paper. So many great ideas floating around in my mind, but I've started writing them on index cards and that will give me a chance to organize all these ideas. Its also amazing to me how many additional ideas come to me as I'm arranging my thoughts.

I wrote one book with no plan and learned a HUGE lesson. While I love spontaneity in my writing - having only a vague idea wastes a lot of time. My first novel was started that way and I ended up tossing out over 50,000 words (200 pages) of content because I started the story in the "wrong" place. With the schedule I have and with business I don't have time to waste like that. So, I plan the basic things that I definitely want to include and especially with a mystery to keep the story on track.

BUT that does NOT mean that my characters aren't "allowed" to take control of the story and that does NOT mean that I don't change course if needed. That is all a big part of the fun of writing :) My first book took over a year to write - almost every book after that took less than half that time and my business books were each written in about 3 months. For a couple of years, I was a full time freelance writer and when the bills need to be paid - there isn't a year to play with a book idea :)

So, once the galleys are finished, I look forward to finding time to keep brainstorming the story. Hopefully I can also find time to head to the Outer Banks to do some research about the Ash Wednesday Storm which is the backdrop for this kidnapping mystery........

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment